Monday, September 3, 2007

Escape into a good book.

When I started out, reading in school as a kid, I read mostly what the teacher recommended or something really popular. As a teen, I read lots of horror novels, mainly Stephen King. (This was largely the result of my mother reading these and having them available, but they were good books – especially the early ones.) I have always loved to disappear into a good book. When I was a kid, I used reading to tune out on others things; my brother and sister fighting, or my mom watching the soap operas she recorded. I wouldn’t even hear people talking to me, and many times had to be called to dinner five times before I responded.

This habit followed me into adulthood as well. I could sit anywhere, even if people were talking or a radio was playing, and read without a problem. I would get so engrossed in a great story, that when my husband was talking me to me I wouldn’t even hear him. As his irritation with this grew, I realized I had to stop. Now, I actually put down the book when someone starts talking to me, but it’s still a great way to escape if I need to.

My preferences in reading changed too. In the past I read the same style of books over and over. Now I read lots of things, fantasy, suspense, pre-historic, paranormal, and of course, children’s books. Yes, the first time I went to get a children’s book as an adult I felt very conspicuous (I didn’t even have a child with me). But after the initial unease, and after reading the first few, I realized this was a great genre. For one thing, children’s authors can’t write a slow story. The kids would put it down and pick up a video game instead. So their stories are very action-packed and detail oriented. The other great thing is that fact that they’re written for children. Many of them are scary, exciting and hilarious all in the same book. Because that’s how kids experience life – all at once.

I’m sure many of you don’t like these types of books; maybe you like reading newspapers, or doing puzzles, or just a biography or two. That’s great! Go for it! There’s really something out there for everyone. Even if you only read for help – such as a crafting book or a handyman guide, reading will expand your vision and bring insight into your life.

Here are just a few of my favorite authors and books

  • Dean Koontz – Life Expectancy, Velocity, The Taking, Hideaway, Fear Nothing, and many, many more.

  • James Rollins – Excavation, Subterranean, Deep Fathom, Amazonia and Ice Hunt. Great adventure/thrill writer.

  • Kathleen & W. Michael Gear – The First North Americans Series. There are many, many books by this great duo. They offer great adventures into the pre-historic past. Writing that is very detailed with vibrant characters.

  • J.K. Rowling – all of her wonderful Harry Potter series. I vote for this most vigorously simply because her books got so many kids reading again. Enchanting and exciting, a must read for fantasy lovers.

  • Eoin Colfer – The Artemis Fowl series. A fun, imaginative and intriguing adventure with a 12 year old boy genius and fairy folk of the sort you haven’t met in an average tale. A great tale with all the technology any Internet geek could want, this is not your usual fairy tale.

Of course there are many, many more. Those will be left for another day. For now, here’s hoping you’ve found a good book to sink into, while I go slip into one of my own.

Abandon the search for Truth, settle for a good fantasy.


No comments: