Sunday, November 11, 2007

What I learned from Negative Nelly.


Grumpy Bear Uploaded on January 23, 2007 by ckirkman

I have only one day left to answer the challenge from Middle Zone Musings. What have I learned from. . .anything at all? The first thing that pops into my head is all the negative people in my life, many of whom I refer to in my mind as “negative Nelly.” Over the years these people have taught me the importance of having fun, enjoying life and taking chances.

My first thought when I’m confronted by a negative, pessimistic, cynical person is to try to change them. I admit I generally still try. I try to cheer them up, find out their interests and likes; see if I can discover the passion in them. Sometimes it works and they “wake up.” Sometimes they look at me as if I’ve grown a second head.

My second thought is still “What is wrong with these people? Why can’t they enjoy the positive things in their lives and not dwell on the negative?” And my third thought is “Why do these people keep popping up in my life?”

After about 5 years of this, I’ve come to realize the reason I am still coming across so many of these people in my life is because I’m still learning from them. Each time I see a grouchy, grumpy person who looks dull and lifeless, it reminds me to have some fun, do something I enjoy, basically to make sure I don’t turn out the same way!

Sometimes they actually make me laugh out loud. I mean when you see someone so grim and serious, even at an amusement park, a busy restaurant or at the playground, you can’t help but be amused. I think I’ve learned how to be positive and upbeat enough to get these people out of my life for good, but then they just pop up again.

Luckily I can say that I’ve come a long, long way. I bounce back more quickly than I used to. I can find more things to be grateful for in one week of looking than I used to acknowledge in a whole year. I’ve found wonderful people in my personal life and on the Internet that bring joy, peace, laughter, and serenity into my life. Today there are more happy, positive people in my life than ever before.

So if I’m not yet on the verge of being a successful, motivated, happy person able to teach others how to do the same, at least I can enjoy the process and find the upside in looking at so many sourpusses day after day. I can find the light when I’m in the dark, and the sun still shines on the gloomiest day. I’m learning every day, and that’s never a bad thing.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Fantastic post and very real! I totally agree that until we've learned the lesson we need, it keeps reappearing. I love your outlook on why Negative Nellys keep coming up. Though I do disagree that you are not a teacher yet, you most certainly are! Perhaps another reason that they keep appearing, is because YOU are needed in their life - rather than the other way around? Thanks for your thoughts.

funspirit said...

Thanks Tracey! I like your thought that maybe they are popping up because they need me. What a great way to look at it. (And one I hadn't thought of.) :0)