Saturday, May 31, 2008

Explore a New World – Open a Book!


Neuschwanstein: The Bavarian Castle by jeffwilcox

I am a tried and true bookworm. I absolutely LOVE TO READ! It’s in my blood the way sailing ships or climbing mountains is in other people’s blood. I’ve read so many books over the years I astound even myself. I am constantly amazed by the un-ending amount of new authors and new stories to explore.

You might think that books are a bit repetitive and dull. After all, how many different ways can the good guys win? Or how many different types of dragons can roam these fantasy worlds? The answer is: endless varieties!

I recently finished two fantastically entertaining books in the last two days. The first was “High Druid of Shannara: Straken.” It was the end of a trilogy written by Terry Brooks, and an amazing voyage. It has druids and castles, trolls, dwarves, flying ships, magic of all kinds, and that’s before you even get to the World of the Forbidding.

The second book was the uplifting and inspiring Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It was such a fresh and fun-filled change from Straken that I read it in less than 24 hours. Wow. Stargirl, as her name implies, comes into the dull, ordinary lives of the students of Mica High School and turns their world upside down. In a whirlwind of color and flair Stargirl wreaks her havoc by having the nerve to be different in a town where no one stands out.

Both books were engaging, captivating, exhilarating and utterly mesmerizing. Whenever the world seems dull, depressing, or I’m just looking for a new ideas, books are a great source of inspiration. Like the popular Narnia tales by C.S. Lewis, each author has his or her own take on life. Even when the book is set in the normal, everyday world, these tales have insights and understandings into life that many of us miss.

I recommend reading to everyone. No matter what your interest, there is a book, magazine, comic book or audio recording on the topic. Next time you’re looking for an interesting change, stop by your nearest library or bookstore and pick up a new read. It’ll be the start of a whole new world.


Check out What Should I Read Next for ideas on the next author and title you should check out next. Just put in the name of your favorites and click the button to find a great new story.

No comments: