Fall picture by George E. Norkus
Fall has arrived with all the fun it always brings – colorful changing leaves, cool, crisp nights, Halloween, and hot chocolate with marshmallows. But this year, I wanted to think of a few different things to appreciate about the season. Here are a few ideas:
- Candy bars don’t melt in the hot car on the way home from the store.
- Entertainment – ever watch someone raking up leaves on a windy day?
- Cozy firelight. Something about a warm, crackling fire just says contentment and comfort.
- Singing in your car. Finally a chance to roll up your windows and belting out your favorite tunes without hurting the sensitive ears of other drivers.
- No more pests. Bees, mosquitoes, snakes and other creepy-crawlies go away for awhile.
- Apples! Apple pie, applesauce, apple cider, apple butter, and of course – an ordinary apple. Yum!
- Bulky sweaters. They’re colorful, bright, and great at hiding the flaws of our not-always-perfect figures.
- Quieter Saturdays once the lawnmower is retired for the season.
- Sunday is for Football!
- Romance time. Snuggling under the covers for warmth leads into something more.
- New TV shows. The end of summer re-runs and a return of old favorites.
- After the exciting fireworks of multi-colored leaves, you get to crunch-crunch-crunch them under your feet as you walk. I don’t know why it’s so fun, but it is.
- Being outside all day long and not getting sweaty.
- Pretending to be someone else for a day. Isn’t Halloween great?
- Smelling cedar and pine in the chimney smoke.
What are your favorites?