Saturday, February 9, 2008

Weird Homes – Where Would You Live?

Since I am in the process of moving this week, I thought I’d let you enjoy a look at this article I came across at Mercola.com. These are the top 7 weirdest houses. I love seeing such creative places to live, and these houses make me want to have some fun decorating next home. These make me smile just thinking of the building plans. “You want a house shaped like what??” Which ones are your favorites?

By the way, I may be offline for a week. In the meantime please take a moment to read some of my older articles, or catch up on your favorite blog and Internet sites. I hope to see you here again soon!

I just love it when someone challenges the status quo and isn’t afraid to think outside of the box. These houses are so unique that they even push the borders of reality.

Take a break from your routine and give your mind permission to believe in the extraordinary, as the creators of these houses certainly did. You never know where it might take you …

1. Hundertwasser's House

These 50 apartments, constructed in 1982-1985, have no straight lines or surfaces, and they’re completely asymmetrical.

2. The Upside-Down House

Loacted in Szymbark, Poland, the Upside-Down House is a tourist attraction intended to make a statement about the Communist era.

3. Toilet-Shaped House

This house, built by the founding member of the World Toilet Association, is dedicated to providing clean sanitation to the more than 2 billion people who live without toilets. Its official name is Haewoojae, which is Korean for "a place of sanctuary where one can solve one's worries."

4. The House on a Stick

Modeled after highway billboards, this 290-square-foot house is designed to fit anywhere, including forests, seas, lakes, mountains, meadows and city streets.

5. Bubble House

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin thought up the idea for this one to “demonstrate the possibility of short-circuiting traditional architecture in the name of original, contemporary design.”

6. The Broken Column House

This house was created by the aristocrat François Nicolas Henri Racine de Monville, who also lived in the house immediately before the French Revolution.

7. The Glass House

American architect Philip Johnson designed this beautiful, if not very functional, home. The house boasts quarter-inch thick glass walls supported by black steel pillars, walnut cabinets and a brick cylinder that contains the bathroom. It is open to the public for all to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to live in the glass house, that's for sure. Although the architecture seems nice, I really value my privacy and all those transparent walls are going to do a lot more damage than good. The house on a stick actually looks pretty stylish. I just hope the stick won't snap off.